When you have a family, it’s nice to be able to consolidate your time and energy whenever possible. While most general dentists will be able to treat children, sometimes it’s nice to work with a staff that’s used to seeing kids around every corner. People don’t always talk about it, but there are a lot of Americans who fear the dentist. That fear usually starts during childhood, so it can set people on a lifetime of better oral health to make every visit as comfortable and (dare we say) fun as possible.
Family Dentists at Work
If you’re looking for a family dentist in Lexington, VA, Lexington Smiles can work with people of all ages. Whether you’ve got a nervous toddler, angry teenager, or indifferent spouse, it’s our job to provide the kinds of services that protect everyone’s smile. You can expect preventative care that will look after your teeth, so small problems don’t have the chance to snowball.
- Child cleanings: When a child’s baby teeth are going to fall out eventually, it may seem like an extraneous step to get them professionally cleaned. However, children will have their baby teeth for more than a few years, and it’s important to keep them (and their gums) healthy.
- Periodontal cleaning: Gum damage can happen for any number of reasons, including hormonal changes (like those that occur during puberty). Periodontal cleaning ensures that gums stay pink and healthy no matter what.
- Guards: Custom mouthguards can be used to protect kids during high-impact sports, or they can be used at night to help push teeth into the right position.
- Applications: Tactics like sealants and fluorides are designed to protect kids’ teeth, even if they’re not always diligent about brushing and flossing.
The right decisions will be different for every family, but the goal is to find an office that will do more. At Lexington Smiles, it’s more than just helping you establish a good dental hygiene routine.
Restorative dentistry is the next step after preventative measures. It may include any of the following treatments:
- Crowns/Bridges: These treatments are largely reserved for those with extensive tooth damage or missing teeth.
- Extractions: An extraction will be done to preserve oral health by removing an infected or severely destroyed tooth.
- Implants: Implants and bridges will both replace a missing tooth with a prosthetic one. The difference is that an implant will require a metal post in the jaw while the bridge does not.
- Root canals: A root canal will clean out the pulp of the tooth should a cavity extend too far.
- Fillings: This treatment fills in small holes in the tooth caused by mild decay.
While children are unlikely to need some of these procedures, they may still require more than just standard fillings. For instance, they may need a temporary crown to protect the rest of their mouth before their adult teeth grow in.
Find a Family Dentist in Lexington
When you have a one-stop shop like Lexington Smiles, it can make your life a little easier. Not only is all of your information stored in the same location, but it can make it easier for everyone to find time in their schedule. When you’re busy, our staff is here to help make your family’s oral health a priority.